Causes of Workplace Stress Essay
There are many factors that can exacerbate the causes of stress in the workplace. The challenges faced by people in the workplace make the job more exciting and interesting. However, there are challenges that can also have negative effects. The normal reaction to stress is tension, anxiety and excitement and work-life goes back to normal after a while. If however, the stress becomes overwhelming or if it happens too often, there can be a problem getting back to the normal state and one is no longer able to relax. The most common causes of stress in the workplace are the following:
• Demands at work become too extreme or excessive
• There is disproportion between the workload and the abilities of the …show more content…
Here are some common causes of stress in the workplace:
• When a company fails to inform employees about changes in their business, this can cause tension and uncertainty. Fear develops when employees are kept in the dark. The constant fear of losing a job can be very stressful which is why a healthy employee and employer relationship is very important in any workplace setting.
• Constant mental stress caused by information overload affects the body in a negative way. Workers may either lose weight excessively or gain weight excessively. An unhealthy lifestyle and a poor social relationship is almost always a result of stress in the workplace. An unhealthy personal and social life can in turn create more stress for the employee since he or she is distracted by problems outside of the workplace. This shows that work and social or personal life compliments each other. Stress relief can only be achieved once there is a balance between the two.
• A new workplace environment can also be another cause of stress in the workplace. Having to deal with a different work culture can create stress temporarily. But if a worker fails to adjust properly conflicts may arise between colleagues or even with officers. Dealing with difficult people in